Blog

Providing the best advice for Goaltenders globally!

Time IS NOT on your side

(Let me begin this article by saying that it was prompted after many discussions with a gentleman who has been through this exact situation and who, I feel, offered an unbiased insight into the recruiting & scouting process.  And, I thank him for sharing those insights.) 

“I HAVE LOTS OF TIME” - you have probably heard this many times. 

Almost every goaltender gets this wrong. TIME IS NOT ON YOUR SIDE.  Time goes by quickly and, before you realize, you are playing someplace you never dreamed you’d be playing, you are now 20 years old and the season is ending in a couple of weeks.  No offers from universities or pro, semi-pro teams & perhaps little education beyond High School.  

Unfortunately, this is about that point in time when reality starts to kick in.  And, if you see others around you getting opportunities, this only compounds this reality. 

So, NOW is the time to get actively involved in your future.  

YOU JUST CAN’T LEAVE IT TO LUCK! 

If you look at the best athletes in any sport, what you will find is that they all have: 

  1. A seasoned, experienced coach who is able to see the broader picture and who has THE PLAYER’S best interests at heart 

  1. Trainers (off ice, mental etc.) 

  1. Often, but not always, there is someone not directly connected to their training (advisor with experience in the path they want to follow) who can give them career advice 

Understand, as much as we think we might be able to handle all parts of our own development, YOU CANNOT DO IT ALONE. 

And the secret sauce about this is that all you will have to do is play, prepare & practice.  And really, if you are presently at an elite level & factor in the demands of school and a wee bit of discretionary free time and there isn’t much time left over.   

YOU NEED A PLAN! 

At one point I might have believed that if you are good enough, they will find you...not so today.  Too many players, too few recruiters/scouts AND NOT ENOUGH TIME.  Plus, a goaltender’s rate of development is not always steady & consistent. 

YOU CANNOT DO IT ALONE.  YOU NEED TO SURROUND YOURSELF WITH THOSE PEOPLE 
MENTIONED ABOVE. (FINANCES TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION) 

For example, if you goal is to play at University in the USA, the volume of research required to learn the academic requirements, rules regarding recruiting, finding reputable contacts, and not to mention finding a place to play prior to attending University if recruited & selected is enormous.   

On the other hand, if your goal is to play Major Junior and you are draft eligible and talking to a team, you’ll need to understand the depth of that team’s present goaltending (how many goaltenders on their protected list), where you will fit on that list, the education package the team offers & billeting situation (after all you are going to be living with another family for some time if you make the team).  Plus, a million other details you’ll need to consider especially if you are living away from home for the first time. 

YOU CANNOT DO IT ALONE 

Remember folks (and I quote a friend of mine here) “there are only 10% of University eligible, Junior eligible players who have a straight path to the highest level, the remaining 90% will only get there if they have help & direction” 

 

A guide to better playoff performance
 

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://alexandergoaltending.com/